What do you mean by disability?

You are disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activity.

Many people who don’t think of themselves as disabled can access support from our office – most of the students have an unseen medical or mental health condition.

If you’re unsure whether or not we can support you, book a confidential Quick Query appointment

I’m worried about telling the University I’ve got a disability. What should I do?

From experience, we know that some students or prospective students are reluctant to disclose a disability because they fear that it might prejudice their application or result in them being treated differently by University staff. Please be assured that this is not the case, indeed, it would be unlawful for a university to discriminate against a student or a prospective student for a disability-related reason.

There are many benefits to disclosure, but you can request that no information about your disability is passed on to others outside the Disability Advisory and Support Service. However, if you do this it may restrict/adversely affect the level of support the university or placement provider can offer you and could limit the types of adjustments which can be put in place.

Your consent to information regarding your disability being disclosed will be valid until the completion of your academic studies. However, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting the Disability Advisory and Support Service.

Although we encourage students to disclose a disability so that they can then access the additional support that they are entitled to, we fully respect any student's right not to do so. You can find out more about how we process your data on our data collection notice. Or if you want to discuss the implications of disclosing a disability before making a decision about whether to formally disclose, you can book a Quick Query appointment with an adviser, who will be able to advise you in complete confidence to help you to make your decision.

Who will you tell about my disability?

We won’t tell anybody about you contacting or registering with the Disability Advisory and Support Service, unless you give us permission to.

If you do want support though, we might have to tell some people to be able to put it in place, but this is only with your consent.

If you register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service, this won’t be added to your degree certificate, and we won’t tell you future employers. Your information is confidential. You can also find out more about how we process your data on our data collection notice.

The Specialist Support Services within the University’s Division of Campus Life all contribute to the provision of support and information in relation to student wellbeing. Our confidentiality statement explains how we do this.

Why should I register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service?

If you need disability support at University such as exam support, support from your lecturers etc. you’ll need to register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service.

The Disability Advisory and Support Service registration form provides us with information about your course, funding body and your disability. You can also tell us who you do and don’t want us to share your information with. By completing the Disability Advisory and Support Service registration form and providing evidence of your disability you can start the process of accessing support.

I think I’ve got dyslexia but I’ve never been tested?

If you think you might be dyslexic, book online onto our weekly workshop to find out more.

Dyslexia affects around 10% of the population and is often hereditary. Dyslexia affects the way individuals process, store and retrieve information. Students with Dyslexia may experience difficulties with memory, organisation, time-management, sequencing, reading and writing.

How do I complain or appeal?

The University has a complaints procedure and academic appeal procedure which both have a number of stages, both formal and informal. If you need assistance with your complaint, then you can contact the Student Union Advice Service.

We want to ensure you have the support you need from DASS. If you have any concerns about the service you have received from DASS, in the first instance please do email Louise Pepper-Kernot, Head of Disability Services, who will be happy to look into this for you.

How do I get personal care support?

Personal care support needs to be arranged through your home social services – so the first thing to do is apply early as this can take a long time to arrange!

Let us know too!

If you require personal care support at university, it’s always best to let us know as well. This way we’ll be able to refer you to the other support services you may need, such as the accommodation office, as well as arrange visits and a support plan appointment early, so that when you do arrive at university your support is already sorted.

What are Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)?

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) are a non-means tested allowance for disabled students who are already studying or about to study a higher education course. It covers additional study–related costs that you will incur because of your disability.

It doesn’t provide you with money, it pays for support you need.

We can help you with your application for Disabled Students Allowances - book a Quick Query Appointment

Who’s eligible for Disabled Students Allowances?

International students are not eligible for Disabled Students Allowances, and some courses are not eligible. You should still register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service even if you’re not eligible for Disabled Students Allowance, as the University can still provide appropriate support.

Why do I have more than one assessment?

This is an appointment at the Disability Advisory and Support Service to determine any support you need from the University. This will include things such as exam support, library support and academic support.

  • Study Needs Assessment

This is an assessment for Disabled Students Allowance which will not take place at the Disability Advisory and Support Service. The appointment will determine any equipment, human support (non-medical helper), travel support that you need to study.

  • Educational Psychologist Assessment

This is an appointment to diagnose whether or not you have dyslexia or another specific learning difficulty.

You will need to book onto and attend one of our ‘Do I have Dyslexia?’ workshops to have an Educational Psychologist’s assessment at the University.

How do I get a car parking space?

  • I hold a state issued Blue Badge.

You will be issued with a parking permit free of charge. To arrange this you need to contact the Permit Office and supply a photocopy of your blue badge.

  • I do not hold a state issued Blue Badge but I am registered with the Disability Advisory and Support Service.

In exceptional circumstances we can make referrals for you to receive a parking permit. You will need to pay for this. There needs to be substantial disability-related justification supported by sufficient medical evidence. Please register with us in the first instance.

I think my disability has affected my academic performance. What should I do?

If you feel your academic performance has been affected because of your disability contact your School as soon as possible. You may be advised to apply for mitigating circumstances, and there is a deadline to do this.

You may also want to read the academic appeals procedure to see if you think you have grounds for appeal. The Student Union Advice Service can help you with your Appeal.

If you feel you need more support to minimise the effect of your disability on your academic performance, contact your Disability Adviser

How do I apply for mitigating circumstances?

If you want to apply for mitigating circumstances contact your School as soon as possible. There is a School deadline for applying for mitigating circumstances.

What if I need an extension for my coursework/can you tell me more about automatic extensions?

If you need an extension for your work because of your disability, please contact your School as soon as possible.

If you feel you need more support to help you meet extension deadlines, please contact your Disability Adviser.

If you have 1 week automatic extensions included as part of your support plan, please ensure that you read these FAQs

How do I order my equipment?

When your equipment is approved, your funding body will send you a letter/email which tells you how to order your equipment.

If you have any difficulty ordering your approved equipment please do contact your casework adviser or arrange to come in for a Quick Query appointment.

Is it too late to register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service?

We’d always recommend that you get in touch with us, even if you think it might be too late to access support because you’re coming to the end of your course. If you book a Quick Query appointment, an adviser will be able to tell you what support we could put in place, if any.

What if I’ve got a temporary illness or injury?

We’re only able to support people who could be seen to have a disability as defined by the Equality Act. If you have a short-term illness that lasts or is likely to last less than one year, then you should contact your School to find out how they can support you.

How can I find out about accessibility on campus?

The Disabled Go website gives information about accessibility around campus.

Do I have to renew my exam support each academic year?

Unless we’ve told you otherwise, no you don’t.

Once you meet with a DASS Adviser and establish your exam support this stays on your record for the duration of your course. If you require a review of any of your support contact us and we can arrange an appointment to do this.

Do I have a seat number allocated if I am in an Exam Room with alternative arrangements?

There will not be a seat number on your Exams timetable when you view it in your Portal. Your Exams Invigilator will advise you where to sit on the day of your exam.

Our confidentiality statement explains how we do this